Protection Acts of 1968 and 1986 regarding swimmers at sea and the use of water scooter- jetski:
1. Ιt falls into the category of “small boat”
Article 2 (Interpretation) of the Protection of Swimmers at Sea Laws of 1968 and 1986 - Law 72/1968 and Law 12/1986:
"Boat" means any motor or sailing vessel and includes a surfboard, a sea bike, a canoe, a sea scooter and any other floating means that may put in danger the safety of swimmers at sea as well as all any object that is towed by it.
2. Its entrance and exit is prohibited through the swimmers’ area.
Article 4 (1) Prohibition of transit through the area of water scooters:
4 .- (1) The declaration of the area shall be prohibited to any of it that
(a) passes through it
(b) parks there
3. It is prohibited to be attached to buoys that mark the bathing areas.
Article 4 (B) Prohibition to buoy intervention:
4B. In a declaring area any person who hitches the water scooter or water sports to any buoy at sea through which the area is designated, or he interferes in any way to it, he is guilty of a criminal offense.
Provisions for Speed Boat Tactics Laws of 1992 to 2001 and Speed Boat Tactics of 1999 Rules regarding water scooters-jet skis:
4. Water scooter-Jet ski means a small “speedboat” and therefore it is subject to all provisions relating to speedboats. Definition of water scooter (jet ski) and its operator.
Article 2 (Interpretation) of the Speedboat Laws 1992 to 2001 - Law 56 (I) / 1992:
A water scooter (jet ski) means a small high-speed craft propelled by an outboard or inboard jet engine, on which one or more persons may be seated or standing.
'Operator' is any person who operates a high-speed boat at a specified time as well as any person who is responsible for the operation of the boat while it is anchored anywhere. In the case where there is any object that is towed by it, the operator of the boat is the same.
5. Persons who reside permanently in Cyprus, must necessarily hold a high speed boat operator license in order to operate a water scooter – jet ski. The license is granted to persons who have reached the age of 18 and have passed successfully the theoretical and practical exams. Temporary visitors (tourists) are entitled to operate water scooters-jet skis which they rent by water sports centers if they have signed an agreement statement with the owner (or the person who is handling the water scooter-jet ski. Persons who have reached the age of 17 may be licensed with an apprentice license and operate a water scooter-jet ski provided that they are always accompanied by a person licensed to operate it.
Article 4 (Operator and apprentice operator license for speed boat) of the Speed Boats Laws 1992 to 2001 - Law 56 (I) / 1992:
4. (1) No one is entitled to be a speedboat operator unless he is provided with a speedboat operator license (hereinafter referred to as "operator license") or a licensed apprentice speedboat operator (hereinafter referred to as "apprentice license") issued by the competent authority.
(2) Aliens and foreign nationals who reside abroad are not required to hold the license mentioned in the preceding subparagraph, provided that they hold a corresponding license or certificate representing their ability to operate high-speed vessels issued by a competent authority. :
It should be clear that temporary visitors for a period of less than thirty (30) days who do not possess the mentioned above license or certificate may operate a speedboat Class B provided that they have signed the specified agreement statement with the owner of the speedboat in which it appears that the owner has been assured of the visitor's knowledge regarding the matters specified by the Regulations issued under this Law.
(3) Any person who is seventeen (17) years of age may be granted with an apprentice license provided that he is always accompanied by a person who holds an operating license.
6. Obligation to transfer the speedboat license and / or apprentice speedboat license, or the mandatory binding declaration for handling a rented sea scooter-jet ski.
Regulation 11 regarding Speed Boats Regulations 1999 - CP 121/1999:
11. Each speedboat operator must carry with him on board in a waterproof case the operator's license or apprentice's license, as the case may be, issued by the competent authority or in the case of a temporary visitor, he should have with him a copy of the binding declaration.
7. Safe handling of sea scooters-jet skis
Article 16 (Operation of Speedboats) of the Speedboats Act 1992 to 2001 - Law 56 (I) / 1992:
16. The provisions of the Bathers Protection Acts of 1968 and 1986 and any law amending or replacing them, without being influenced, when a high-speed vessel is located in an area not designed for bathers but commonly used by bathers, the operator must enter and exit the area with the greatest attention at the lowest speed.
16A. When sea scooters-jet skis are more than 500 meters away from the coast, then regardless the provisions of the basic law or any regulations issued, the prohibition regarding their use between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm for the period of 1 May to 30 September may not apply.
Regulation 31 (1) of the Speed Boat Regulations 1999 - CP 121/1999:
31- (1). The movement of high-speed boats within the canals that are located between bathing areas, as determined by decree under the Bathing Protection Laws of 1968 and 1986, or any law amending or replacing them, as well as in any other sea area up to 100 meters from the nearest shore or rock, should not exceed the number of 3 knots and should not pose a risk to any ripple person.
Regulation 32 of the Speed Boats Regulations 1999 - CP 121/1999:
32 .— (1) It is forbidden for the sea scooter-jet ski to operate more than 700 meters away from the nearest shore
(2) It is forbidden to use the sea scooter-jet ski in a distance of less than 100 meters from the clearly visible markings in the swimming area (buoys),
as defined by decree under the Protection of Bathers in the Maritime Laws of 1968 and 1986 or any law amending or replacing them.
The exit and entrance of sea scooters-jet skis must be through the channels of buoys as stated in Regulation 31 of these Regulations.
3) The circulation of sea scooters-jet skis is prohibited:
(a) For the period of May 1 to September 30 or September, except between the hours of 10:00 am - 13.00 pm and 4:00 pm - 7.00 pm
(b) For the period of 1 October to 30 or April, except between the hours after sunrise and sunset.
(c) Throughout the year and around the clock it is prohibited when -
(i) the state of the sea is wavy,
(ii) when winds of speed over 16 knots are prevalent
(iii) when the visibility is less than one nautical mile
8. Prohibition of handling sea scooters under the influence of drugs or severe medicines and alcohol over the limit.
Article 8 (Operation of a Speed Boat, while the Expiration of Alcohol exceeds the prescribed limit) of the Speedboat Laws 1992 to 2001 - Law 56 (I) / 1992:
8. Anyone who handles or attempts to operate a high-speed boat at sea, having already consumed alcohol in any form as to exceed the prescribed limit on exhaustion or blood, or of he is under the influence of drugs that reduces his ability to operate the high-speed boat, he is guilty of an offense.
9. Safe use and management of sea scooters-jet skis
Article 3 (provisions of the First Board) of the Speedboat Laws 1992 to 2001 - Law 56 (I) / 1992:
The operator's attention is drawn to its provisions in the Speed Boats Act of 1992 and in particular to the following:
1. It is prohibited to operate a high-speed boat without an operator's license
2. Anyone who is on board must wear life jackets or navigational aids and must be seated only in the designated seats.
3. The KillSwitch must always be connected to the operator.
4. It is prohibited to operate a speedboat in a manner that could put someone’s life and his physical integrity or could cause nuisance
5. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and psychotropic substances is prohibited
6. Do not drive in the area of bathers